- Our School
- Careers and Employability
Careers and Employability
The aim of the school is to provide our students with information, advice and guidance on the full range of opportunities available to them as they progress through their education. Through PSHE lessons, our careers education tutorial programme, dedicated non-timetable days and a diverse range of extra-curricular opportunities, students will have the capacity to explore their future ambitions. We intend to achieve all the demands of the ‘Gatsby benchmarks’, including enhancing student encounters with workplace employers, to deliver an excellent programme to support the aspirations of our young people.
http://www.gatsby.org.uk/education/focus-areas/good-career-guidanceThe school uses the Gatsby benchmarks as the basis of our CEIAG provision. To find out more about the benchmarks go to
The careers programme is designed to provide a coherent platform for students to explore their aspirations.
Students can access further support by visiting our Guidance Manager in Room F323. Parents/carers and employers can find out further information by contacting the lead in Careers in school who is Mrs Chamberlain, Guidance Manager emailing Mrs Chamberlain or by phoning 0208 315 8130.
Our aim is to raise the aspirations of our students and provide them with the knowledge and skills to develop their own career paths. Our success in achieving this aim is measured by student voice, employer feedback and the destination data we collate in school.
The careers programme is reviewed on an annual basis in consultation with students, tutors and our linked Governor (AAC Member) and Enterprise Adviser with the intention of enhancing our provision year upon year.
For more information regarding the Sixth Form experience go to the Sixth Form Page.
Please click here for Careers Journey for Year 7 to 13
Please click on the following link to read our Provider Access Policy.
Year 7 - Skills for the future
Year 8 – Exploring Possibilities
QUALITY IN CAREERS STANDARD 2022
Statement of Commitment: Bishop Justus Church of England is pleased to announce our commitment to working towards re-accreditation of the prestigious Quality in Careers Standard for our Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance programme. The school achieved the Standard in 2015 and again in 2018.
The Quality in Careers Standard is a nationally recognised award and one of the highest accolades a school can receive for excellence in careers education, information, advice and guidance. It fully complies with the Department for Education’s statutory guidance.
In 2018 our external assessor complimented the quality of the careers programme at Bishop Justus Church of England stating, “There is a comprehensive and varied careers programme on offer to students that is both well-planned and progressive.”
The school is once more demonstrating its commitment to providing outstanding impartial, independent careers education, information, advice and guidance for all our students by working towards re-accreditation of the award in 2022.
Bishop Justus Church of England offers a wide range of careers education activities such as a careers and work-related learning fair, careers curriculum delivered through careers lessons and careers presentations which take place throughout the year. In addition, students have access to two fully qualified careers adviser.
Bishop Justus Quality in Careers Standard Certificate 2018-21
You can use the Careerometer below to explore and compare key information about occupations to support the process of identifying potential careers.
The school is committed to providing CPD opportunities for the Careers Leader and other staff on an ongoing basis. Regular meetings take place with the school’s Enterprise Coordinator to ensure a strong careers programme which meets the criteria of Gatsby Benchmarks and Government’s Statutory Guidance. This combined with pupil voice, parent and external provider feedback ensures that the careers programme at Bishop Justus is robust and caters for the needs of all students. We hold the Quality in Careers Standard Award and are currently working for towards reaccreditation in 2022/23.
Reviews take place with the Enterprise Coordinator and Enterprise Adviser. Reviews are also conducted between the Careers leader, SLT and the governing body (Aquinas Advisory Board Life of the School Committee) student feedback plus evaluations for all year groups after careers related events/activities.
The Careers Leader conducts an annual careers audit for curriculum subjects. Careers Education is monitored and evaluated through careers tutorial time and PHSE programme as well.
There is an annual review of the Year 12 Work Experience Programme to the evaluate how relevant placements have been in relation to the students’ careers plans and the quality of these experiences.
All destinations of year 11,12 and 13 students are collated by the Careers leader and School’s Sixth Form Administrator. The Sixth Form Administrator collaborates with staff from the local authority to ensure students at risk of being NEET are supported. The Careers Leader, tutors and the Sixth Form Administrator monitor the destinations of school leavers for 3 years after they leave.
All students at Bishop Justus Church of England School will:
Take part in a careers programme in Years 7-13 that helps them to:
- Understand their education, training, employment and other progression opportunities
- Develop the skills they need to plan and manage their own personal development and career progression
- Access relevant information and learning through participation in the range of activities provided in house and external visits
- Make and maintain individual progression plans to help them improve their prospects of success
- Offer feedback and ideas of how to improve the careers programme
Have access to and support with using careers information that is:
- Easy to find and available at convenient times and in convenient locations including our online packages: Morrisby and Unifrog and other careers platforms.
- Clearly labelled, referenced and comprehensive, giving details of all progression opportunities and associated support arrangements such as financial help
- Unbiased and up to date
Obtain careers guidance that is:
- Focused on individual needs and fit for purpose
- Supportive of equal opportunities
- Provided by people with relevant training and expertise
Useful Websites for Careers Advice and Guidance
Use the links below to help you make an informed decision about your Career.
- Want to find out about Careers and up to date Labor Market Information (LMI) Click Here!
- Free Careers Advice and Guidance at Pure Potential
- Need advice? Register @ My2Be to joing the online mentoring network.
- Find out more about apprenticeships.
- Research STEM Careers @ Futuremorph.
- The National Careers Service
- Up to date University Information
- Don't want to go to University? Have a look at Alternative Routes
- Aspiring Medic? Join the Medical Portal
- Get great advice @ My Kinda Future
- Barclays has set up Barclays Life Skills, aimed at helping young people with the skills they need to go forward into work.
- Aspiring Law Student? Why not register with the Student Lawyer
- Start is a free, online careers platform, designed to connect 11-18 year olds with their future career potential. Click here to register!
- Interested in becoming a web developer? Find out more here about what it entails.
- What Career Live- has lots of advice and guidance for students and parents.
- Careers Advice from The Telegraph.
- Aspiring Medic? Register with Medic Mentors now to find out about all the different support they offer.
- Interested in a Career in Journalism? Click here to find out more.
- University Compare Website; A comprehensive university comparison site, offering students resources, tools, student discounts and university stats and rankings. Click here to find out more.
|Student Entitlement Statement for Work Related Learning 2022.2023||18th May 2023||Download|
|Summary of Bishop Justus Careers Education Information and Guidance Programme 2022 to 2023||18th May 2023||Download|
|CEIAG and Work related Policy 2023||18th May 2023||Download|
|Provider Access Statement Reviewed February 2023 docx||18th May 2023||Download|
|Bishop Justus Church of England School Strategic Careers Plan 2022 to 2025||18th May 2023||Download|