Careers and Employability
The school has a statutory duty to provide independent impartial careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) on careers and courses beyond the age of 16. This sits alongside the school’s commitment to advise all students about the world of work and, separately, about curriculum preferences that allow them to make informed choices in order that they secure progression into the world of further education, higher education or the work place. The school uses a range of external services and local strategies as outlined in this policy to guarantee students outstanding CEIAG Provision.
At Bishop Justus we see Careers, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) as a fundamental part of supporting students as they develop into responsible, employable citizens. Our policy sets out how we encourage all students to consider their career options, and identify which skills and qualifications they will need to achieve in order to realise their personal ambitions. We offer tailored support to individuals and groups in a timely and age appropriate way.
Bishop Justus is committed to quality in careers, education, information advice and guidance. We have successfully been reaccredited with the national quality award for careers, education, information advice and guidance provision, also known as the Quality in Careers Standard (through Investor in Careers) Award.
All year 12 students are entitled to experience the world of work through the work experience programme which takes place during term 6. As an Academy, the Local Authority (LA) has delegated responsibility back to the Chair of Governors to provide work experience for the students within the school. It is the responsibility of both students and the WEX co-ordinator to secure appropriate placements. The WEX Co-ordinator under direction from the Deputy Head ensures that relevant safety checks are carried out and updated in accordance with to LA guidance and that accurate information regarding placements is shared as appropriate with the LA. The WEX coordinator also liaises with local businesses and regularly updates the schools database of employers who offer students placements.
Year 10 students who are studying a specific BTEC course also have the opportunity to participate in a one week work placement as part of their learning.
The Quality in Careers Standard
Bishop Justus achieves the Quality in Careers (through Investor in Careers) Award for another three years.
We are very proud to announce that Bishop Justus Church of England School has achieved the Quality in Careers (through Investor in Careers Award). The award is one of the highest accolades for excellence in careers education, information advice and guidance recommended by the government. The school’s careers guidance service was externally assessed and evaluated. It was reported that:
There is a comprehensive and varied careers programme on offer to students that is both well-planned and progressive. This includes PSHE provision, innovative practice and well executed careers events: such as a Speed Networking event. Although the school is large and growing there is strong evidence of personalised careers support focused on the needs of individual students. All staff are clear of their roles and contribution and fully committed to undertaking careers conversations with students both as subject teachers and tutors and referring on for expert advice with professionally qualified onsite careers advisers. The documentation relating to the careers provision is very comprehensive and thorough. This includes the policy and entitlement statement as well as the development plan. The Investor in Careers Assessor commented “it was a pleasure to visit the school and meet the students and staff.”
We are happy to have been honoured a second time for the career guidance services and activities we offer our students to assist them make educational, training and occupational choices, manage their careers and reach their potential.
Thank you to all who support Bishop Justus School.
Labour Market Updates
Please click on the link below for monthly Labour Market Updates.
You can use the Careerometer below to explore and compare key information about occupations to support the process of identifying potential careers.
Useful Websites for Careers Advice and Guidance
Use the links below to help you make an informed decision about your Career.
- Want to find out about Careers and up to date Labor Market Information (LMI) Click Here!
- Free Careers Advice and Guidance at Pure Potential
- Need advice? Register @ My2Be to joing the online mentoring network.
- Find out more about apprenticeships.
- Research STEM Careers @ Futuremorph.
- The National Careers Service
- Up to date University Information
- Don't want to go to University? Have a look at Alternative Routes
- Aspiring Medic? Join the Medical Portal
- Get great advice @ My Kinda Future
- Barclays has set up Barclays Life Skills, aimed at helping young people with the skills they need to go forward into work.
- Aspiring Law Student? Why not register with the Student Lawyer
- Start is a free, online careers platform, designed to connect 11-18 year olds with their future career potential. Click here to register!
- Interested in becoming a web developer? Find out more here about what it entails.
- What Career Live- has lots of advice and guidance for students and parents.
- Careers Advice from The Telegraph.
- Aspiring Medic? Register with Medic Mentors now to find out about all the different support they offer.
- Interested in a Career in Journalism? Click here to find out more.
- University Compare Website; A comprehensive university comparison site, offering students resources, tools, student discounts and university stats and rankings. Click here to find out more.
|Annual Careers Plan||30th Aug 2018||Download|
|Student Entitlement Statement for work related learning||30th Aug 2018||Download|
|Careers Education Information and Guidance Programme||15th Oct 2018||Download|
|CEIAG and Work Related Policy||07th Nov 2018||Download|
|Provider Access Policy Statement||07th Nov 2018||Download|