The Secretary of State for education directed all schools in England and Wales to close on 23 March as part of the Government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Thereafter, the Department for Education provided guidance on the safeguarding of pupils during the period of school closure. The Aquinas Trust and the Academy are complying with this guidance as reflected in the addendum to the Trust Safeguarding Policy (the Addendum), which is found on the ‘Policies’ page of the Aquinas website www.aquinastrust.org. For the period of school closure, the Academy’s Child Protection Policy will be altered as detailed in the Addendum.
Safeguarding is the responsibility of all members of the school community. Bishop Justus Church of England School provides annual Safeguarding and Prevent training to all staff.
The Designated Safeguarding Leads:
Miss Lucy Pearson (Deputy Headteacher)
Mr. Lee Kings
Deputy Safeguarding Lead:
Mrs Sara Barcas
Additional Safeguarding Lead:
Miss Lorna Mackinnon
We follow a suite of Aquinas Trust policies that include a number of academy-based policies and procedures that underpin and support keeping children safe in education. These can be accessed from our policies page.
Regular Safeguarding bulletins may also be found here to offer practical and useful advice about keeping children safe. The National Online Safety information posters for parents are also available.
Supporting Your Child During Exam Time (Young Minds)
As we start to move towards exam season, Young Minds have launched advice for parents about supporting their children.
- Encourage your child to take revision breaks and find a balance between studying and doing things they find enjoyable and relaxing.
- Make sure they are eating and drinking at regular intervals.
- Reassure them – reinforce that you are and will be proud of them no matter what happens.
- Remain positive and hopeful!
- Let them know their feelings are valid and normal, but also offer support and solutions where possible.
- Anxiety is often worst at night and this means it is useful to encourage good bedtime routine.