What is Pupil Premium?
The Government introduced Pupil Premium in 2011. The Pupil Premium is additional funding paid to schools to support their eligible pupils and diminish the difference in attainment and progress between them and their peers.
“The government believes that the pupil premium, which is additional to main school funding, is the best way to address the current underlying inequalities between children eligible for free school meals (FSM) and their peers by ensuring that funding to tackle disadvantage reaches the pupils who need it the most”. (DFE Website).
In the 2019/20 financial year, schools receive the following funding according to its January 2019 census, in the following amounts:
- £935 per pupil for each Ever 6 FSM FTE in year groups 7 to 11, except where the pupil is allocated the LAC or post-LAC Premium
- £2,300 per pupil for each post-LAC in year groups reception to year 11
- £300 for each pupil aged 4 and over in year groups reception to year 11 who is either Ever 6 service child FTE or in receipt of pensions under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and the War Pensions Scheme (WPS)
For further details, please click the link below to the government website.
Terms on which Pupil Premium Grant is allocated to schools
The grant may be spent in the following ways:
- for the purposes of the school; that is, for the educational benefit of pupils registered at that school
- for the benefit of pupils registered at other maintained schools or academies
- on community facilities; for example, services whose provision furthers any charitable purpose for the benefit of pupils at the school or their families, or people who live or work in the locality in which the school is situated
The grant does not have to be completely spent by schools in the financial year beginning 1 April 2020; some or all of it may be carried forward to future financial years.
Check if you are eligible for Free school meals with the link below
To complete the online application for Free School Meals please click the link below